Changing diapers can be an unpleasant task for new parents; nevertheless, it has to be done. It can be quick and easy to complete this task with a good changing table and requirements all kept within your reach.
Why You Need A Changing Table
A changing table isn’t a requirement but it makes life easier and manageable when your baby is in the diaper stage. A changing table provides a safe place to change your baby’s diaper, and keeps all your essentials for diaper change organized and within your reach. If you’re not looking to buy a whole new piece of furniture just to change your little one, there are some modern changing table alternatives that are space-saving and chic.
Features To Look For:
- Basic changing tables that have ample storage options
- Space-saving options, such as a corner changing table or a 4-in 1 connected to a crib
- Convertible changing tables such as those on top of a chest of drawers
Our Guide To The Best Changing Tables
Badger Basket Modern Baby Changing Table with Six Baskets
This Badger Basket option is currently one of the best changing tables in the market. The baskets are effortlessly removable and the safety rails on the four sides keep the baby from falling away during the changes. This changing table is easily wiped clean and has a foam changing pad to save you from making extra purchases. The baskets are useful for customizing your storage system. Though it has a modern design, this changing table is not easy to assemble and the drawers may not stay fixed in place.
Babyletto Sprout 3-Drawer Changer Dresser with Removable Changing Tray
This baby changing table is very convenient for people who are short since it reaches the waist of most parents. It is fitted with three drawers to keep your entire changing essentials close by. You may need to buy a changing pad separately as it’s not supplied together. You can remove the changing tray after the baby has outgrown the diaper stage to use as a dresser. The changing table meets CPC and ASTM international standards. It also has an anti-tip kit for improved home and child safety.
Dream on Me Marcus Changing Table and Dresser
This changing table is quite convenient for taller people. It has a unique design that can add a pleasant and practical touch to your nursery. It has a safety rail surrounding the four corners to prevent your baby from falling. It has three large drawers to enable you to keep everything you need for diaper duty in a neat and organized manner. It meets all the ASTM and CPC safety standards and has seven color options including stormy grey and cherry.
Storkcraft Graco Solano 4-in-1 Convertible Crib and Changer with Drawer
After purchasing this baby changing table, you may not need to buy other furniture for your nursery as it serves both as a crib for your baby as well as a changing table. It has various storage areas, including two large shelves underneath the changing table and a pull-out drawer under the crib. It can be used as a daybed and a toddler bed making it relevant from babyhood to the adolescent stage. When the rails are removed, it can eventually become a full-size bed. It meets all the ASTM and CPC standards and is certified by the Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association. This could be one of the best purchases made for your baby’s nursery and is an investment that you’ll never regret.
Delta Children 2-in-1 Changing Table and Storage Unit
It is a smart changing table with a spacious design to hold all of your changing essentials. Your children can use it to store books and toys after they are potty trained. It has been tested for toxic chemicals such as lead and passed the safety standards so you can comfortably use it in your child’s bedroom and nursery for many years. The disadvantage of this changing table is that it is prone to premature wear, which doesn’t make it a great choice for the long-term.
Delta Children Wilmington Changing Table with Pad
Another option from the Delta Children range is this perfect-looking changing table with a classic design. It has safety rails around the four sides to keep a squirmy child from falling off. Underneath the changing table, there are two shelves with ample storage for all your diaper-changing needs. It is constructed from non-toxic materials and has met all government safety standards.
Dream On Me Emily Changing Table
This is a low-cost wooden changing table. It is constructed with sturdy wood and has rails around the four sides for the safety of your baby. It is made with a non-toxic finish and meets all government safety standards. It has two large shelves with ample space for storing your changing items and anything else you might need. It is available in six colors that match almost every nursery room décor.
Child Craft London Changing Table
It has a simple design with two spacious shelves for storage. It has a security belt and a changing pad. It comprises medium-density fiberboard and comes in three colors. It has a nontoxic finish hence safe for use in your child’s nursery.
IKEA Gulliver Changing Table
This is a traditional changing table at an affordable price, that blends in with any décor. It enables you to change your baby with minimal bending and store the essentials on the two open shelves underneath.
Crate and Kids Jenny Lind 4-Drawer Grey Dresser
It has beautiful spindle features and a solid structure with adjustable levers for irregular floors. You’ll need to buy a changing pad and a changing table topper separately and add them to the dresser to use as a changing table.
Delta Children Essex Changing Table/Bookcase
It has a changing topper with four cubbies to store books, toys, or other nursery requirements and can still be used long after the diaper stage. It is easy to assemble, and the set of painted feet can be swapped to create different looks.
Pottery Barn Kids Kendall Extra Wide Nursery Dresser and Topper Set
It is pricey, has a classic look, and an extra-wide size. It is also durable and sturdy. The topper set is removable. It can be used from day one and functions as a wardrobe to take him all through his teenage years. It is a big investment and you should measure your space before making an order.
DaVinci Autumn 4-Drawer Removable Changing Table Dresser
It is constructed with high-quality wood and has a removable changing tray. The spacious and sturdy drawers remain useful beyond the diaper stage. The shortcomings of this dresser are that it is difficult to assemble, and scratches easily.
IKEA Sundvik Changing Table and Dresser
It is a versatile changing table that requires full assembly and has raised sides to prevent the changing pad from falling off. You can fasten the leaf in position and use it as a dresser when the diaper stage is over.
Graco Lauren Changing Table
It has four rollers that enable easy movement from one room to another. It has a slim profile good for space conservation and ample storage space in the two open shelves below. It comes with a vinyl waterproof changing pad that is easy to clean.
Costzon Folding Diaper Station
This Costzon baby changing table is a light folding option that can be stored in a closet or behind the door when not in use. Due to its weight limit of 24 pounds, keep in mind that it can only accommodate light children below one year. It is a portable and space-saving option that is affordable. It comes with a storage bin and a shelf to place your essentials when using it. It folds compact but is not sturdy enough for weightier babies.
Crate & Kids Ever Simple White Changing Table
It has a non-conspicuous low-profile design and is suitable for apartment dwellers since it occupies less space. It has two shelves for keeping wipes, creams, diapers, and any other essentials you may need within reach.
RH Baby & Child Marcelle Changing Table Wall
It is a great investment piece that your child can use from day one until he leaves your home. You’ll use the center for baby changing purposes. The structure has a pull-out laundry case. When your diaper days are over, you can remove the changing pad and decorate the space, or add shelves for storing toys and books. The advantages of this structure are: it is highly durable, has a laundry compartment and abundant storage space. The disadvantages are: it does not have safety rails on the changing table and is very expensive.
These changing pads can be used with changing tables or on their own. Some of the best options on the market include:
Keekaroo Peanut Diaper Changing Pad
It is cushy with a snug spot for diaper changes. It can be used on dressers, on the floor, or on a changing table. It is waterproof and can be wiped down for easy cleaning.
Summer 2-Sided changing Pad
It has high curved sides, a security strap, and a belt to keep your baby safe during diaper changes. It is highly affordable and fits on many changing tables. You can add waterproof pad liners to keep laundry down.
Hatch Grow Smart Changing Pad and Scale
This is a wipe-clean and high-tech changing pad with a built-in wireless scale to help you track your baby’s weight gain. That may sound overboard, but keeping an eye on a baby’s weight can give you peace of mind, especially if your little one has reflux or is prone to spitting up. The changing pad pairs up with the Grow smartphone app for a simple weight tracking process.
Skip Hop Pronto Signature Baby Changing Station
This enables you to change your baby’s diaper in any location. It has an extra-wide cushioned changing pad, zippered front pocket, a wipes case, and a mesh pocket.
Factors to Consider when Choosing a Changing Table
- Choose a changing table that works with your body: it shouldn’t strain you to bend down or lift up onto your toes to reach the items you need. Consider whether you want open shelves for ease of access, or sliding doors to keep your items away from little hands!
- Choose a changing table that fits with the amount of space in your child’s nursery.
- It is important to check for safety measures such as rails and a safety belt to keep your squirmy baby from falling. However, even with safety measures in place, you should never leave your baby unattended on the changing table.
- Ensure that the paint on your changing table is non-toxic and lead-free. Most US newly manufactured tables are made from non-toxic materials. If buying a used table or a hand-me-down table, check for recalls on the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) website.
- Choose changing tables that can be anchored on the wall to avoid toppling over on your baby. The best products come with an anti-tip kit or anchors; you can buy from local hardware stores if your changing table doesn’t have one.
- You should check that your table comes with enough storage space. This is used to store the items you need for the changing process like diapers, wipes, and plastic bags for dirty diapers. It should also keep items beyond the baby’s reach during changing times.
- Check the weight that your changing table can safely hold before using it.
Changing diapers may not be the highlight of your day, but it’s a reality of having a baby. Having the right changing table can make the process easier and faster, which is especially valuable for those middle-of-the-night changes.
You can add a changing pad onto a dresser to repurpose it into a changing table, or you may opt to use a changing pad on the bed or floor without a changing table. Purchasing changing tables isn’t a waste of resources since most of them remain relevant for the storage of kids’ items and clothes after the diaper stage. When choosing the best changing table for your little one, make sure you consider safety, comfort, and practicality as well as design.
Table of Contents
- Why You Need A Changing Table
- Our Guide To The Best Changing Tables
- Badger Basket Modern Baby Changing Table with Six Baskets
- Babyletto Sprout 3-Drawer Changer Dresser with Removable Changing Tray
- Dream on Me Marcus Changing Table and Dresser
- Storkcraft Graco Solano 4-in-1 Convertible Crib and Changer with Drawer
- Delta Children 2-in-1 Changing Table and Storage Unit
- Delta Children Wilmington Changing Table with Pad
- Dream On Me Emily Changing Table
- Child Craft London Changing Table
- IKEA Gulliver Changing Table
- Crate and Kids Jenny Lind 4-Drawer Grey Dresser
- Delta Children Essex Changing Table/Bookcase
- Pottery Barn Kids Kendall Extra Wide Nursery Dresser and Topper Set
- DaVinci Autumn 4-Drawer Removable Changing Table Dresser
- IKEA Sundvik Changing Table and Dresser
- Graco Lauren Changing Table
- Costzon Folding Diaper Station
- Crate & Kids Ever Simple White Changing Table
- RH Baby & Child Marcelle Changing Table Wall
- Changing Pads
- Factors to Consider when Choosing a Changing Table
- Bottom Line on 2021’s Best Changing Table