As a new mom, nothing matches the joy of cradling your newborn baby in your arms. But you can’t keep your baby in your arms all day long. Not just because you have your hands full with other things, but you also deserve to relax or enjoy a cup of coffee from time to time! The trouble is, your baby may not feel relaxed in a crib or on a play mat. Your baby loves that rhythmic movement they were used to in the womb. All too often, you find yourself having to pick them up again, and you’re back where you started.
That’s where this high-tech swing comes into play. The 4moms Mamaroo baby swing mimics your movements, to calm and keep your baby comfortable. This mamaRoo review will help you work out if this is the product for you.
What Is the 4moms MamaRoo?
The 4moms mamaRoo baby swing resembles a satellite dish supported by a sturdy white base. A mobile is attached at the top with interactive reversible toy balls that make noises and have a mirror attached so your daughter or son can see themself. The seat has funky intergalactic patterns on the seat that are suitable for both genders.
Mamaroo has an AC adaptor as it uses electric power instead of batteries. It’s suitable for use from newborn up to 25 pounds, or when your baby can sit independently.
The Features We Love
Adjustable movements and speeds
The 4moms mamaRoo has five motions that are effective at soothing even the fussiest of babies. The motions are tree swing, kangaroo, rock-a-bye, car ride, and ocean:
- The tree swing motion swings your baby back and forth.
- The kangaroo motion bounces your baby up and down gently.
- The rock a bye motion keeps your baby in continuous movement, back and forth and up and down.
- The car ride motion moves your baby up and over, around and up, and then down.
- The ocean/ wave motion sails your baby gently in a circle without any bouncing.
It also has five different speeds for each of these settings. You can control or adjust the motion and the speed to suit your baby’s needs at specific times.
In contrast to other swings, mamaRoo is compact and occupies a smaller space at the corner of your living room or nursery. It measures 37” by 19” compared to other baby swings which come in at 37” by 37”. The mamaRoo weighs 19 pounds which means that it is very stable.
Built-in white noise
The seat comes with four built-in sounds. The sounds are soft and soothing to your little ones, making them relax and sleep easily.
Cell phone control
The Internet of Things has found its way into the realm of baby products with this Bluetooth-enabled control. You can use your phone to control the swing’s speed, movements, and white noise sounds.
The swing also has an MP3 plugin so that you can plug in your phone and listen to some favorite music – yours or your baby’s! The speakers on the swing are set at baby-safe levels, so there’s no risk of your baby’s hearing being damaged.
Machine-washable seat cover
The seat cover is removable and made of fully washable fabric, so your baby can always sit in a hygienic swing. The straps are not removable but easily wiped clean of any spit-ups or messes.
In general, 4moms mamaRoo a is high quality and long-lasting swing. You can find a functional secondhand swing if your budget is too squeezed for a new one. It also comes in varying colors such as classic black, grey and white, featuring plush gender-neutral fabric. That said, some reviews comment that the mobile that is attached to the seat isn’t especially strong and can be bent out of shape as your baby gets older and manages to pull them.
The mamaRoo has four fundamental safety aspects that set it apart from the others:
This swing has additional weight in the base so that it cannot topple or fold.
The mamaRoo swing has an adjustable recline for the correct positioning of your baby as they grow. Babies less than four months should be reclined so that their airways stay open, and should be supervised while in the swing. You can use the mamaRoo newborn insert for additional support and comfort when your baby is tiny.
The swing has a toy mobile that draws your baby’s attention and desire to reach the toys. The toys are securely fastened and out of your baby’s reach, at least for the first few months, so they can’t pull down on them without your help.
Not recommended for sleeping
According to the AAP sleep safety guidelines, you should never allow your baby to sleep in a swing. Instead, you should transfer your baby to a flat and firm sleeping surface immediately after they fall asleep.
MamaRoo Pros and Cons
- It has unique and effective movements for soothing your little one.
- Unlike other swings, mamaRoo also bounces, giving your child a range of experiences.
- The compact size is suitable even for a smaller room.
- The modern, sleek design fits in any room.
- It’s easy to clean as the seat cover is machine washable.
- The ability to control the swing from your mobile gadget is very useful.
- The different seat positions ensure that your little one isn’t easily bored.
- The sound effects help settle a grizzly baby.
- It is durable and stable.
- The toys allow the development of your baby’s visual and motor skills as they see and reach for the toys.
- The new 4moms mamaRoo 4 launched in 2017 has a large on/off switch that you can press with your foot. This new model moves faster than the earlier ones.
- Its price is relatively high.
- Its extra cover seat and infant inserts also have a high price.
- Limited lifespan. You stop using it as soon as your child can sit unassisted, around 6 months.
About Thorley Industries LLC / 4moms
Thorley Industries LLC is a company that produces high-tech baby gear. It was founded in 2006 by Robert Daley and Henry Thorne. It operates under the trade name 4moms. Its headquarters are in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA, but it sells its products all over the world.
4moms is a multi-award-winning company that has won the following awards.
- Love It Award 2020- Baby Center.
- Best Baby Gear 2020- Fatherly.
- Mom Must-Have Awards 2020-What to Expect.
- Baby Approved 2020-Parents.
- Innovation Awards 2020-CES.
The 4moms mamaRoo 4 infant seat was launched in 2010 and has been a lifesaver to many parents.
Safety of the 4moms MamaRoo Baby Swing
The safest place for your baby to be is in your arms, but you can place them in a swing for a short while and you can be happy in the knowledge that the mamRoo has numerous safety features. It meets all the recommendations set by the AAP for safety, making it the safest swing for your baby.
Why Use a MamaRoo Baby Swing?
A swing can sway a fussy baby until they calm down. However, not every child loves sitting in a swing. Some demand to be rocked by their parents.
4moms observed how parents rock and sway with their babies and created the mamaRoo with 5 unique motions that imitate a parent swaying.
The swing also has built-in soothing sounds, an MP3 plugin, and a Bluetooth connection to control the sounds & speed. This makes the mamaRoo a convenient item for both you and your baby.
How Does mamaRoo Compare?
Fisher-Price My Little Snugabunny Cradle ‘n’ Swing versus 4moms mamaRoo
- The Cradle’n’Swing has only two motions, swing head-to-toe like a conventional swing; and rock a baby side-to-side like a cradle. The mamaRoo has 5 unique movements.
- The Cradle’n’Swing has six speeds, plays 16 songs, and produces soothing nature sounds. MamaRoo has five speeds, endless songs from your mp3 list, and has four soothing white noise sounds built-in.
- The Cradle’n’Swing has a two-position recline and three adjustable seat positions; left-facing, center, and right-facing. The mamaRoo reclines to multiple positions and has multi-directional seat positions.
- Changing to different swing positions is by the press of a button for the Fisher-Price rocker. The mamaRoo allows you to control positions from the buttons on the monitor or your phone in your comfort. The Cradle’n’Swing is a manually controlled swing, while mamaRoo is a Bluetooth baby rocker.
- The Cradle’n’Swing has a machine-washable seat cover, bunny ears head support, and a luxurious My Little Snugabunny torso insert. MamaRoo also has a washable seat cover and plush fabric 4moms infant inserts also provide head and body support.
- The Cradle’n’Swing has a motorized mobile with a globe reflection and birds flying at the top. MamaRoo’s mobile is stationary with removable and reversible toy balls at the top.
- The Fisher-Price option could be suitable if you have a spacious living room as it requires more space. MamaRoo is compact and could fit in any room.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is it safe to allow your baby to sleep in a mamaRoo swing?
No. babies shouldn’t be left to sleep in a swing. Instead, transfer your baby to a firm and flat surface like a crib or bassinet as soon as they begin dozing off. Your baby should sleep alone, on his back, and in a crib without blankets or pillows.
How long can your baby stay in a swing?
A mamaRoo is the safest swing to hold your baby for long hours. However, for proper physical development, allow them to sit in the swing for about 30 minutes per day.
Is it safe for newborns?
Yes, it safely accommodates babies weighing 5 to 25 pounds.
Is it worth the price?
Yes, it is. It has more functional features which are not available in the other swings; thus, it gives you value for money.
Overall 4moms Mamaroo Review
4moms designed the mamaRoo to soothe your little one using motions similar to a parent or caregiver. It can be a lifesaver to relieve you of the long hours of standing and pacing up and down as you soothe a fussy baby. The high-tech swing is exciting to use. You can listen to music and control its movements and sounds remotely.
MamaRoo has received plenty of positive customer reviews on Amazon and other online sites, so you are assured of good value for your money. It is best to purchase a mamaRoo before your baby is born, as it can be used from birth, to help you out during those early days when your body needs plenty of rest.
Table of Contents
- What Is the 4moms MamaRoo?
- The Features We Love
- Safety Features
- MamaRoo Pros and Cons
- About Thorley Industries LLC / 4moms
- Safety of the 4moms MamaRoo Baby Swing
- Why Use a MamaRoo Baby Swing?
- How Does mamaRoo Compare?
- Overall 4moms Mamaroo Review