One inevitable part of having a baby is changing diapers! Whether you choose disposable or cloth diapers, you still need somewhere to put those diapers when they’re used. Somewhere hygienic (not the kitchen bin!) and that won’t stink the house out!
If disposable diapers are the route you choose, a diaper pail will soon become your best friend. Why? Because a regular bin won’t keep the odor in, and an outdoor bin will have you running up and down the stairs to dispose of dirty diapers.
A baby’s diaper pail isn’t a necessity, but it’s an investment in terms of your time and energy. Often, once the baby has grown, you can convert the pail into a regular trash can.
Top 4 Best Diaper Pails – Comparison
Top Six Best Diaper Pails
Here is our run-down of the six best diaper pails of 2021!
Ubbi Steel Odor Locking Diaper Pail
The Ubbi Steel Odor locking pail was the first diaper can made of steel in 2011. As a result, it became the first breakthrough in the diaper disposal market. It’s made of steel, guaranteeing that it will keep odor at bay, unlike plastic pails. Also, it doesn’t require special bags or refills, thus saving on both money and time.
Ubbi Steel Odor Pail at a glance:
Weight: 6 pounds
Product Dimensions: 12 x 9 x 20 inches
- Made of steel, thus keeping odor at bay.
- It comes with a child’s safety lock keeping kids from finding their way into the can.
- Holds up to 55 diapers (20 of the larger size and 55 of the newborn size).
- No need for specialized bags.
- It comes in various colors; white, gray, Blush pink, chevron, marble, sage, and wood grain.
- Doesn’t have a foot pedal.
- Over time, rust and mold may grow due to the contents of the diapers. Also, after cleaning, if the pail isn’t completely dry, there will be rust.
- It’s a bit expensive compared to other pails because of its steel design.
- Has a small opening for diapers.
Price aside, this pail works just fine compared to plastic pails. So if you’re looking for both styles for your nursery, then this pail is for you.
Dekor Classic Hands-Free Diaper Pail
The Dekor Hands-Free Diaper Pail is designed to make diaper change as easy and comfortable as possible. It’s 100% hands-free; no cramming, twisting, touching, bending, and squishing. Instead, you step on the foot pedal and drop the diaper. Also, it’s designed in a way that keeps the odor inside the pail keeping your nursery odor-free.
Dekor Classic Hands-Free at a glance:
Weight: 7 pounds
Product Dimension: 8 x 12 x 21 inches
- 100% hands-free.
- Can be converted later on into a regular trash can.
- Has child-proof safety lock keeping toddlers away from accessing the pail.
- Has a reusable refill cartridge, and it’s easy to use.
- Comes in different sizes (mini, classic, and plus).
- Fits well with other regular garbage bags.
- Considering the money spent on refills, it can be expensive.
- The bags don’t seal off completely, leaving room for minor odor leakage when opening the lid.
If you are looking for an easy, hands-free pail, we recommend this pail. However, if you use a large number of diapers, we recommend the plus size.
Munchkin Toss Portable Disposable Diaper Pail
Diaper change happens anywhere and everywhere. When traveling or out with their babies, most parents worry about where to dispose of the diapers. The last thing you want is to carry the smelly soiled diapers around with you because you couldn’t find a trash can!
That’s where the Munchkin Toss Diaper Pail comes in. You no longer have to worry about where to dispose of the diapers. The Toss Disposable Pail is portable and compact enough to be kept in the car or hotel room.
Munchkin Toss Portable Pail at a glance:
Weight: 3.5 ounces
Product Dimension: 6 x 8 x 8 inches
- Portability; can be used on the go.
- No refills are needed.
- Can hold up to 30 newborn-size diapers.
- Doesn’t take up too much space.
- If you have more than one baby and use more diapers, you’ll need to empty this small pail frequently.
- No foot pedal.
- Might need to push the diapers down.
If you are always on the go, traveling, or road trips, this is the pail for you.
Playtex Diaper Genie Complete Diaper Pail
With Playtex Diaper Genie Complete Diaper Pail, you don’t have to worry about odor sneaking its way up the pail. The pail comes with a built-in odor antimicrobial and double-air-tight clamps that seal in the odor. At the top of the bin, the pail comes with a carbon filter that will capture any odor trying to sneak its way out.
Also, the pail is fitted with a front tilt, where you simply pull the full bag through the built-in cutter.
Playtex Diaper Genie at a glance:
Weight: 9 pounds
Product Dimension: 10 x 14 x 22 inches
- Built-in antimicrobial and double-air tight clamps to seal out odors.
- Carbon filter that captures odor that sneaks out at the top of the bin.
- Has a foot pedal.
- Easy changing the refill bag.
- Wide opening at the top, so you don’t have to worry about pushing the diapers down.
- It’s not 100% hands-free, as you might need to use your hands to shove the diapers down.
- The sealing technology only works with their bags which can prove to be expensive to buy for refills.
- The lid can pop off.
This pail is perfect for parents who have twins as it can hold up to 270 used diapers. In addition, with its combination of antimicrobial and double-air tight clamps, you can be sure that your nursery will be odor-free.
PurePail Go Diaper Pail
It comes fitted with an odor-blocking technology keeping the smell away. In addition, the pail comes fully assembled with a traveling case which makes it a good choice for parents who are traveling or on road trips.
PurePail Go Diaper Pail at a glance:
Weight: 2 pounds
Product Dimension: 10 x 10 x 4 inches
- Easy to use.
- Suitable for traveling.
- Superior odor control (charcoal filter absorbs odor without the use of added fragrance).
- Comes fully assembled.
- Takes minimal space.
- The lock on the lid is fragile and can easily break.
- Their small size can be a limitation.
This is your to-go pail if you are looking for a diaper disposal pail with superior odor control. However, you will have to contend with its size limitation if you use many diapers.
Munchkin Step Diaper Pail
This pail is sleek and stylish in its design. In addition, Munchkin Step Diaper Pail is proven the best in odor control as it combines a duo of lavender-scented Arm and Hammer baking soda to keep odor away. It also has a patented self-sealing technology that seals in odor when the lid closes, keeping your nursery smelling fresh at all times.
The Munchkin Step Pail also comes with an additional lavender-scented puck that absorbs odor even when not used.
Munchkin Step Diaper Pail at a glance:
Weight: 12 pounds
Product Dimension: 12 x 28 x 13 inches
- Convenient step pedal.
- Self-sealing system. It has an inbuilt technology that twists your refill every time you close the lid keeping odor away. So you don’t have to worry about the smell stinking up your face every time you open the pail.
- Can hold a large number of diapers.
- Has a child-proof locking system keeping your toddlers safe from accessing the contents of the pail.
- Comes with additional odor protection; Arm and Hammer lavender-scented baking soda.
- The pail also comes with a snap, seal, and toss refill bags, all scented with lavender.
- Environment conscious; for every Munchkin Pail sold, Munchkin will plant a tree to offset gaseous emissions. Helping keep the babies in a healthy environment both in the present and in the future.
- Won an award for being the best overall diaper pail in 2020 by Good Housekeeping.
- Need to refill the baking soda and the special Munchkin refill bags meaning extra cost.
- Small opening, so you have to shove diapers down.
The Munchkin Step Pail is for you if you are looking for both style and 100% odorless diaper pail.
Why You need a Diaper Disposal Pail
The baby’s nursery is that part of the house where parents spend most of their time taking care of their babies. So naturally, one of the activities that take place in the nursery is diaper change. And it’s not a rosy-smelling affair. And just like any other part of the house, the nursery needs to look and smell nice too. And that’s where the diaper pail comes in handy.
These pails are unnecessary, but they help contain the odor from dirty diapers until the trash day, keeping your nursery smelling good. Also, since they are kept in the nursery, they keep you from the hassle of rushing outside to the trash can every time you need to dispose of diapers.
Diaper pails will also keep off your curious toddlers and nosy pets from accessing its contents as they come with a safety lock. So, you don’t have to worry about walking into a messy nursery or your toddler’s safety.
Features To Look Out For in a Diaper Pail
Ease of use
Consider a pail with a foot pedal use. This enables the parent to have hands-on the baby and only use the foot pedal to release the trap door and dispose of the diaper.
It’s not safe to step away from your baby even for a second while they are still on the changing table. They might roll over, so you want to dispose of your diaper but still have an eye on your baby.
Choose a pail with an odor-control system or scented bags that keep the diaper smell away. Diapers of newborns aren’t that smelly, but as your baby grows and starts eating solid food, diaper change can be a smelly affair. It would help if you contained odors, so an important consideration in looking for a diaper pail to prevent the smell.
Consider a pail that does not take up too much space in your nursery. Also, consider a pail that can hold a large number of diapers so that you don’t have to empty it every day.
Liners or special refill bags
Some pails require a special refill bag which comes at a cost, while others use ordinary kitchen trash bags.
Some pails come with a foot pedal, while others have a simple hole like the regular trash cans where you simply open and drop the diapers. And others are fitted with a specialized kind of door where you have to push the diapers in.
As for disposing of the diapers once the pail is full, for some pails, just like the regular trash cans, you get the filled bags out. In contrast, other pails are fitted with a side door for easy access to the bags.
Toddlers are a curious lot. Pets too! You don’t want your toddler or your pets accessing the pail’s contents or throwing in their favorite toys or pacifiers in the pail. Therefore, look for a pail with a child-proof lock. Also, consider pails that meet safety standards like the Juvenile Products Manufacturers Association and other consumer products safety standards. Ensure that your pail hasn’t been recalled or has broken or lost parts. Not all pails come fitted with a child-proof locking system. Ensure that your child can’t access or choke from liners.
The diaper pail can be seen as an accessory in your baby nursery as something you will be looking at every day as you change diapers. Go for a design and color that suits your baby’s nursery.
Disposing of baby diapers is part and parcel of parenthood; and diaper pails can make the difference between a pleasant or awful experience. Averagely, babies can go through ten or more diaper change every day, and things can get smelly fast in the trash cans. If you choose to go for the diaper pail, go for one that not only guarantees safety for your toddler but also contains odor. They are an easy saver and a great way to get rid of that dirty diaper.
Table of Contents
- Top 4 Best Diaper Pails – Comparison
- Top Six Best Diaper Pails
- Why You need a Diaper Disposal Pail
- Features To Look Out For in a Diaper Pail